A nice bit of Nottingham history, the Old Angel Inn stood on our Stoney Street corner since the 1600s and, following a refresh in Summer 2016, reopened as The Angel Microbrewery. Looking back at the Grade II listed building’s history, it’s been a long and colourful one! The site of two murders in the 1700’s (a policeman and a prostitute), the building was formerly a brothel, a chapel and a public house.
Deep underneath the pub, below the beer cellar, are some of the famous Nottingham caves. Unlike the caves under other Nottingham venues, those below the Old Angel Inn were hollowed out of the sub-soil in the shape of a crucifix. What’s more, the building is said to be haunted by the ghost of the prostitute who was murdered.
The pub has had a few famous regulars over the years. Due to The Angel’s location on the original north/south route connecting London and York, it’s rumoured that one of the earliest regulars was none other than Dick Turpin, infamous highwayman of the Midlands. The Angel was also frequented regularly by Alan Sillitoe, the famous Nottingham author. In celebration of his working class origins and writing, a portrait of him was created to adorn the outside of the pub.
More recently, the Old Angel Inn was well known across Nottingham as one of the city’s prominent rock, punk and metal pubs. Following the transformation into The Angel Microbrewery in 2016, you can still expect to see a few famous faces knocking about… including the city’s very own Robin Hood, Ezekial Bone, and his merry men!
Click the link below to download a piece on the Angel by the Dilettante Gazette and find out more about the history of the Old Angel Inn